Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day

Congratulations to the Earth. Today is your day. Without you we'd be nothing. Well, we'd be something, I suppose. But the stuff that we're made up of would probably be something else entirely unaware that it is what it is. It wasn't until a great big sphere of a crazy conglomerate positioned at just the right distance from just the right star and started to rotate at just the right speed that somehow all the right stuff began to self-replicate, albeit imperfectly, and just the right amount of time passed to where the some of those self-replicators started to become aware of themselves, and told each other what they thought was the obvious reason for it all. Does there really have to be a reason? Seems like in what is an infinitely huge universe with an infinitely long amount of time on its hands, chances were good that somewhere in that universe a conscience being would eventually find itself asking how it all came to be. I'd like to believe there is more for me, but my skepticism reminds me, to quote Douglas Adams, "...once you know what you want to be true, instinct is a very useful device for enabling you to know that it is."

I'm not sure where this thought is trying to go, so I'll just conclude. Thanks, Earth, for contributing to my awareness so that for a few short moments in the vast spectrum of everything, I could marvel at what is and struggle with what probably isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment